12 July 2007

12 July: Readings & Comments


5.5 / 99 Bedtime
6.0 / 108 Fasting
6.9 / 124 Post-Bfast 1x crumpet toast w/ liverwurst
5.5 / 99 Pre-Lunch
8.4 / 151 Post-Lunch Mac & Cheese
5.9 / 106 Post-Tea KFC. Plain gravy instead of potatoes & gravy.
Sprint-walked halls 5x
This evening I tried a couple different experiments. First up, we had decided to have KFC tonight, and I was trying to find ways to accommodate it without it driving up my glucose levels. I wondered if it were possible to just get gravy instead of potatoes and gravy. I love KFC gravy, and mostly I use it to dip my chips (french fries) into it. So I went to their website and checked out their menu and found that yes, you can get just the gravy. Cool. So no more mashed potatoes AND chips from KFC. And I really enjoyed just the gravy too as it meant I could share with Rod and not feel greedy about it as the container was a little bigger than the small mashed potatoes and gravy.

As I often slip up and enjoy watching telly after our evening meal, the last few days I've made my first cuppa green tea and have had it with my meal. I'm the type of person who doesn't really drink much during a meal, but after the meal, it's nice to have a sip of something. So having the green tea already there is a bonus.

My next experiment has to do with exercise. As my diabetes is 'Diet and Exercise' controlled, I probably should do something about the exercise side of things as I haven't been getting as much activity in, what with the hole still in my side and all. I can't use my stationary bike as the up and down movement of my legs aggravates the wound, but I can do some walking. The only problem is - it's winter and cold, wet and rainy, making going for a walk not that appealing. Recently I read an article about how studies have been done that prove that doing a few short bursts of 'fast, intense' exercise interspersed amongst regular paced exercise actually does more good than say riding the exercise bike for 30 minutes at a regular pace. Such as riding the bike at a normal pace for a minutes followed by a minute of really fast intense riding, and then back to normal pace, repeated for 20 minutes does more good (weight lost, etc) than 30 minutes of doing the same at a slower pace. The article I was reading suggested you could try this with walking as well, and that's where my idea of using my hallway for sprint walking came from. So every time I have to go to the loo, (which is near one end of the hallway), afterwards, I go to the laundry room and then sprint walk all the way down the hall to the window in our bedroom. We just measured the hall, and it's about 15 metres, so if I do the sprint walk twice, that's 30 metres, and so on. What with drinking my green tea all day, I tend to visit the loo at least once every hour or two, so even if I did the sprint walk thing twice each time, it could add up. One of the interesting things is I've found that doing this actually leaves me feeling refreshed and more energetic. I just tear down the hallway like I'm about to catch the bus and running late. It feels good, and just look at my reading tonight - even with having KFC, it was only 5.9! I can do this in any type of weather, and I don't need anything special for it and don't break a sweat or run out of breath. Cool. You can read a newspaper article about Interval training here.

Next week I go in for a check up with the clinic at Flinders for the hole in my side. That's Monday. And then on Wednesday I have the colonoscopy that was cancelled last month. Thursday I have an ultrasound on my hip, and if it has bursitis in it, I'll have a cortisone shot injected into it. I'm hoping that it's just arthritis and not bursitis as I really don't relish what cortisone can do to my mental health (I have several family members who are bi-polar and cortisone can make them manic), nor do I like the idea that it can make my glucose levels go haywire. I've barely got my levels under control at the moment so throwing a spanner in the works isn't my idea of fun. My doctor said that the good outweighs the bad as if my leg is giving out on me (which it was doing every day for a few weeks - but it hasn't since I saw the doctor about it), the pain and fear as it happens can also affect my glucose levels and falling over just really isn't a good thing either. Fair enough, but everything I've read on the subject suggests most doctors try other methods of dealing with the bursitis first before going to cortisone injections. So I'm a bit unsure on this. The potential diagnosis is Trochanteric Bursitis.

I've been working on updating the area of my website where I update my glucose levels, and it's coming along nicely. For a long time I wanted to have something similar to my Diabetes Record book where it just shows one day at a time in a neat orderly fashion. I have this working well now, with options to edit or delete records, and just added the ability to Email readings to my Sugarstats.com account. Tonight I added the 'blog format' so I can copy and paste the details into this blog easier. One of the things I still need to work are the links for the next and previous days so I can go from one day to the next without changing data in the drop down box. Once I have the Next/Previous links working right I'll copy the code to the public area of my website and remove the edit/delete/Email options from it. That way instead of showing a list of the last 30 entries, it will have the logbook format and only show one day at a time. Eventually I'll be adding in more graphs as well. In the process of working on this, I'm also teaching myself how to make use of session data which eventually will be used instead of using the methods I'm currently employing to keep bits of data going to the various functions of the program. OK, that was probably more 'geek' than you needed to know. Basically, every time I work on my personal website, I also try to learn new programming skills, and that's what I've been doing.

How am I doing/feeling? Some days I feel great. Other days not so hot. It's hard to put a finger on anything though. I'm still on antibiotics for a chest infection and having weird earraches that may be related to arthritis of my jaw. My glucose readings have been quite strange at times too. One day this week my after lunch reading was pretty normal, but then my reading before dinner was 13.9 - which made absolutely no sense to me. I hadn't snacked, and I'd been busy. So at this point, I'm just trying to get re-organised with being more strict with my diet and introducing some exercise so that maybe I can get my readings to stay back down in the 5-6 level (under 100 mg/dl) rather than spiking at various times of the day.

Well, my other half has retired for the evening so I think I will go join him.

Cheers!

No comments: