08 June 2007

Better care

Last night I didn't sleep well. I woke up a few times after having had fever dreams and was drenched in sweat. The RDNS nurse and I had another round, but she assured me she'd still be looking after me and wouldn't make me go to the clinic. I don't drive, I take pain pills that make me not really safe to be taking even public transportation (just look at the number of times I've taken the wrong bus from Flinders Hospital and ended up at Colonnades instead of home).

The nurse wrote a note for my doctor listing fever, pain and purulent exudate as well as pockets of fluid in my back and asked for advice about antibiotics for me. (Nurses have to be careful not to step on toes - they can't come out and say I think she has an infection, give her antibiotics). So I made an appt, but couldn't get in see my own GP. I ended up with Mum's GP, Dr. Liew. He's not as bad as I thought. He actually looked at the hole in my side and did a culture. The results of the culture won't be back until Tuesday, but meanwhile he put me on strong antibiotics and told me to ring on Tuesday for the culture results. I'll also stop in and get a print out of the results to take with me for my appt next Thursday. So, more than a week after I developed signs of an infection, at least I finally have some positive steps taken that should lessen its damage, I hope. I'm feeling a bit run down today, and even took a nap earlier. It's quite painful as well, so I've just been pretty much taking it easy. I just really want this to go away. Soon.

I'm also down on the roster for every other day including weekend days. That's good.

I was left without waterproof dressing again, but that's OK as the wound can breath this way. I'll have Rod put Opsite over it on the weekend when I want to have a shower. Meanwhile, let it breath and heal.

The brown soft warm winter wrap I ordered on Mothers Day arrived today. OMG, it is SO soft, and So warm. It's like walking around being hugged. Or a bit of guilty pleasure... wandering around wearing a blanket around my shoulders. And it has pockets!

I learned today that my son Chris was given a Citizenship Award during his graduation ceremony and that one of the teachers told him later that the vote was unanimous. I am SO proud of that kid. There was even a speech given before giving him the award. Oh, how cool. I'm so bummed I wasn't there to see it, but I'm also just over the moon for him. This is really fantastic. He tells me someone took a movie of the ceremony and that if he can get a copy, he'll have a friend of the family make a DVD of it for me. That's be great! He's also going to try to get a copy of the speech that was given. I'd love to see that. I think I might burst with pride if I don't watch out!

No comments: