28 August 2007

WhooHoo! A day with good readings


07:23:52 6.1 / 109 Fasting
11:07:06 6.9 / 124 Post-Bfast
14:07:05 4.6 / 83 Pre-Lunch
16:56:13 6.7 / 120 Post-Lunch
18:50:46 4.7 / 84 Pre-Tea
21:17:53 5.7 / 103 Post-Tea Roast beef, veggies, potatoes, gravy
Wow, I haven't had a full day of glucose readings that were in range since I had a cortisone shot a few weeks ago.

I started the day early as I had to go with Rod today - every other week on Tuesdays I have to put a form in at Centrelink. In the the last several times I've done this, I've had a late fast food breakfast, but as I was up early today, I had breakfast before we left, which apparently set the tone for the rest of the day. Neat!

I also made tea tonight even though Rod is usually the one who does any cooking of roasts. It turned out great.

I had an appt with my GP last week, and I'm still mulling over it, but while I'm adding a blog entry I may as well cover the bases with what was discussed. My memory really sucks lately so I had typed up a list, which I'm including below. My comments from the appt start with "...".

-------------
How long do the wonky glucose levels last after having had cortisone?

... Quite awhile as it's a long acting cortisone.

Have finished course of Iron tablets.

... No new prescription. Will check iron levels at next diabetes checkup (Nov) to see if there's been any change. Currently (as of 3 August) my iron levels are back up to normal.

Finished antibiotics yesterday.
Still have sinus infection, ear pain and cough
Ears - have woken up several times with them 'wet'

... Checked ears - blocked, but not infected. Checked chest, still infected. Sinus' still infected. Gave me a new prescription for another month of antibiotics. Vibramycin this time.

Rib pain - could this be weather related?

... no comment, not covered or discussed.

Having skin reactions I normally only have in summer.
Over sensitive in forehead, nose and left eye area. Very itchy.
Blisters on fingers - normally only get when it's hot and I've been sweaty.
Usually I get these two annoyances together.

... This is probably due to being ill with a long term infection.
... (I have since discovered our water bed heater setting was higher than normal, which led to night time sweats, which probably/maybe was the cause. Has settled down now.

My eyes have been quite puffy lately and have been a bit on the sticky side.
Recently noticed that my eyelashes have sorta disappeared.
Started recovery from chemo 5yrs ago... could this be why eyelashes
have disappeared?

... No idea. Will keep an eye on it.

Hands quite swollen and sore even with voltaren gel and tablets. Sometimes
fingers don't work. Like for remote control. Can only seem to use
my right hand for the remote.

... No comment, or was back to the due to being ill with long term infection.

Background sounds - pulsating (stop/start) and weak knees at the same time.
Have noticed this for awhile, but it used to be only once in awhile,
such as when getting out of the car and walking, but it's happening
more often lately and even at home. Even the tea kettle now sounds
like it's a big wheel turning. I get weak in the knees at the same
time, but not light headed or dizzy.

... Probably from being ill lately.

Extremely Forgetful. Almost forgot to mention this, but it's the main reason
for having a list in the first place. Stupid things I've done in
last few weeks - (... list removed because they're rather embarrassing).

... Also probably due to being ill. Suggested I take extra care as some of the things on the list could have been pretty deadly. Others were just stupid.

... He looked at my diabetes log book and remarked that even though I had a few highs, I also had lows on the same day and reckoned that it evened out overall and that they weren't bad stats. I don't really agree with that assessment as anything over 7.8 (140) does damage, and I had plenty of readings over this mark. But I do agree that considering I've had a cortisone shot, my readings really aren't as bad as what they could be.
-------------

So I'm on Vibramycin now for the next 4 weeks, and if the infections and odd symptoms like the weird sounds don't go away/improve, the next step is to do a cat scan of my head - mostly for the sinus areas.

It's taken me a few days (nearly a week) to sort of 'get over' the discussion, as it left me feeling like I should go home and go to bed until I'm well again. Well considering I've had this hole in my side, along with the other infections for the last several months, I'd probably be a long time in coming good, so really there's no point in just going to bed and hope to feel better in a few days. I'm much better off doing what I can, but also realising that I do need to take it a bit easier and let my body do the work it needs to in order for me to get well. Yesterday I thought I'd have a nap, but ended up catching up on over a weeks worth of Neighbours episodes that I'd recorded but hadn't watched yet, but today I did manage to have a little nap in the early afternoon. I had one of those nasty sinus headaches that wouldn't go away. A 45 minute nap helped it a lot though.

For those of you in the USA, 'Neighbours' is an Aussie soap of sorts. It's been on the air for about 20yrs and I've learned a lot from it, culture-wise. It's not at all like American soaps. I got addicted to it while recovering from chemo a few years ago, and I think it's cool that the BCNA (Breast Cancer Network Australia) pink lady fridge magnets seem to move from household to household within the show.

Tomorrow I'm adding purple streaks to my hair... it's a mousse that washes out after 10 washes. It was marked down and I bought it on a whim. I don't even think Rod noticed it in the shopping last week. He has a long day at school so I figure it's a good day to do it. At least it's something a little adventurous, and since I've had a day with my glucose levels completely within range, I reckon it's time to treat myself. :-)

Cheers!

No comments: