15 January 2008

My Current Desktop


Kubuntu v7.10 ('Gutsy Gibbon') KDE 3.5 Desktop


NOTES for Kubuntu v7.10 ('Gutsy Gibbon') KDE 3.5 Desktop



To see larger views, click on the link, then at the top of the next screen, choose 'All Sizes' and then select the Original size to view.

Desktop Notes
15 January 2006

Kubuntu v7.10 ('Gutsy Gibbon') KDE 3.5 Desktop

1 Above are menus and links to applications that I use most often.

2 I was burning a CD when I took the screenshot.

3 The time in Michigan (where my kids are). Next to this is the trashcan and the two icons are to lock the screen (which I never use) and the logout button.

4 Date, Time and current weather conditions. 'Camera' is the name of my machine.

5 Our doorcam. I can click on the picture and get a larger view that updates automatically as the webcam software updates the picture. Handy for seeing who's coming to the door. At the time of this screen capture, it was night time and only part of our car shows at the top of the pic.

6 One of our Webcams. I only added this one to see how the program worked, but it's kinda cool to have eyes in the back of my head and see what Rod's up to behind me. Like the doorcam, I can click on the picture and get a larger view that updates automatically.

7 I was going to reserve this space for pictures of my grandson (due to be born sometime this week), but I was sent some ultra sounds scans so have used this instead. Same as above, I can click on the picture for a larger image. Bet I'll be doing that a lot once the baby is born and I get some nice pics of him. :-)

8 Monitor for CPU 0.

9 Monitor for CPU 1.

10 Temps for both my CPUs.

11 Memory and Swap status.

12 Volume slider for adjusting the sound sound volume. Under this is a display of the program using the most CPU at the time of the capture. It was Xorg at 26%. I've found that with the dual core CPUs these just pop up and disappear.

13 ADSL monitor. I've used 13.8 of 20 gig available for the month. Below this shows the usage chart for the last month. Internode is the name of my ISP.

14 My current 'Up-time'. My computer had been up for a total of 4 days 23 hours and 40 minutes at the time of the screen capture.

15 Tail of my webcam log that shows me details of the last computer that visited my webcam. In this example it was my son. I know this because of being in chat with him at the time. This updates as often as there are accesses to the cams. Sometimes this is quite often, other times, it can be rather static.

16 The button at the far left acts the same as the desktop button on Windows. It minimises all windows in the current desktop. Next is a type in/drop down form which lets me run programs right from the panel. The little image and text 'Webcam' shows the names of any programs running in the current desktop. 'Webcam' correlates to #15. I haven't figured out how to make it not show as a taskbar entry.

17 My 10 desktops. I like to keep things organised so my mail software runs in the 'Mail' desktop, my web browser is in the 'Web' desktop. These don't need to be named, but I've been using the same convention in the same order for about 10yrs now so I'm rather used to it. The grey boxes are the ones where I have software open in those desktops.

18 The system tray. The blue icon is Kopete, the chat program I use. It lets me talk with family whether they use ICQ, MSN, AOL, etc. The basket is for a note organiser program named 'Baskets'. It lets me keep notes on my day, have to-do lists, recipe baskets, etc. Very useful program, and not boring or bland like a lot of notes programs - you have complete control over colours, fonts, etc., and can even add pics or weblinks. Next is the icon for Amarok, which is a music player that I like to use. The zeros are for three mail boxes that I like to be notified when new mail has arrived. At the time of the screenshot I had no mail in any of the boxes. When there is mail, the number changes and a pop up box shows me the name of the sender and the subject. I love this as it saves me from running to check my inbox only to find out it's spam.

19 The background image on this screen capture is "Azure Wallpaper" by RaNdOm-HeRo58 on DeviantArt. I have my background set to change every 15 minutes and have a variety of background images that are randomly displayed.

No comments: