26 September 2007

Mammo Went Well, So What is it? Glasses, Just Peachy

It's been a busy couple of days. On Monday I had the mammogram and annual check up with the breast cancer clinic. All went well, no surprises, all OK. The registrar that saw me didn't know anything about lymphoedema, but was amazed at the swelling in my back, as was the breast surgeon. He asked who was treating me for it (the plastics department) and said I should get them to look at it ASAP. Tuesday I saw my GP and he ordered an ultra sound of the area which is scheduled for Friday. I will take the results back to him afterwards. He agreed with my theory about the other swelling in the back side, underarm, neck shoulder and chest as being lymphoedema. When I go back on Friday for results, I'll ask for a referral to the Lymphoedema clinic. I'll also get the antibiotics restarted as I forgot to ask about that yesterday and the usual complaints are creeping back again. Frustrating, that. Today the RDNS nurse was pleased to know I'd be having an ultrasound done and will do a measurement on my wound and write a bit of a cover letter to go to the ultrasound people. The swelled area is mainly against my spine and right at the end of where the wound ends, so its a bit of a concern all around. But, it's not hot, it's not red, so it's not likely to be an infection. What the heck it is though is any ones guess.

My glucose levels are still weird - high in the mornings and better in the day. It just seems to be one of those things as nothing I do as far as diet seems to make a difference. Not even lots of green tea. Of course, no telling how much higher it might be without the tea and with it being wonky, I'm still not about to rock the boat and go without the green tea to see what happens. I'll just stay the current course that's worked for me the last several months and put the morning readings up to something happening with my body (and obviously somethings going on - that swelling on my back is a bit hard to ignore).


In other news, my new glasses arrived last week. I ended up not buying them on-line as I wanted them to be progressive (also known as multi-focal), and these are not really the kind of thing you can buy on-line as there are measurements that need to be taken so they're set properly. I ended up with two pair, one being for reading only, and other pair are the all in one multi-focal, anti-reflective transitional lenses. The frames are VERY similar to my old pair, but the sides are pink/purple. Here's a couple links to what they look like: Elle EL 18524 #1, and Elle EL 18524 #2. They're very comfortable, and I've had very few problems getting used to them. I got dizzy one day reading a newsletter, but after Rod reminded me I needed to move either the page or my head to keep the print in focus, I've been fine since. Last year, they only gave me half a prescription as otherwise I'd be too disorientated. So this year I have the full prescription that I need. And wow, I thought I could see before, but these are amazing. And I love not having to lift my glasses up just to read text on labels any more. I asked to have them be anti-reflective so the webcam will show my eyes rather than a reflection of the monitor. Is that being vain? (Shrug) I just figure if the webcam is there, it may as well give the best view possible.


Peach 1 Just Peachy. 'Just peachy' was one of my Mom's phrases when things weren't going that great, which is funny now I think about it because that's being sarcastic and I never actually thought of my mother as having a sarcastic bone in her body. Huh. Anyway, the kitty you see to the right is my friend Peach. Good lord, I didn't name him. He'd have a much better name if I did, that's for sure. Peach belongs to one of my neighbours in back, and comes over to play in my back garden and now also visits me and we have a mutual little love fest routine. He's not allowed in the house, but he does occasionally hang out waiting for us at the patio door. He's a black and peach Ragdoll kitty, and even though he's a boy, he's gorgeous. He's not quite adult, and loves to chase bugs in the yard. His owners have given him two collars - one with a bell and one that's a beautiful series of beads that clink together. This is good, as it gives all the birds fair warning. He's also been registered and tagged. One of his tags is a cute pink heart that has his name on one side and the other has the phrase "It's all about ME" in lovely script. I laughed when I first read it.

We started our 'relationship' by ignoring each other, sort of. I just knew if I called to him or walked up to him, he'd run away and probably never come back. So I went about my business and tried not to scare him away. He'd take note of me and pretend to clean himself. We'd both steal glances at each other though. I noticed that he'd take to sleeping a little bit closer to the patio on every visit. Then one Friday night, he walked up to ROD and they made friends! I was a bit shocked! But happy that they seemed to like each other. The same night, he came up to me for the first time, and then decided to sleep on the mat in front of the sliding door. When I went outside late that night, he'd curled up in an empty planter and just looked at me as if he belonged, and who was I to argue as long as he didn't want in the house. So now when Peach visits (which isn't every day - I think he makes the rounds of the neighbourhood) - if he's in the middle of the yard, he comes running up to me and we have a little pet and cuddle then off he goes. He's exactly what I've wanted -- someone else's nice kitty to visit me and let me love and watch, if only for a few minutes every day or so.


I ordered a pair of noise cancelling headphones last week, and wow, are they ever nice. I use them when I need to 'chain' myself to the computer to either work on websites or to write. They really help with avoiding distractions and letting me think easier. Beautiful sound, and quite comfortable. This was one of the recent 'Catch of the Day''s and only $24 which is a great price.


I think that's about me for catching up at the moment. I'll write more once I've had the ultrasound if we're any more the wiser.

No comments: