12 April 2007

12 April: Good News

Apologies if you've read parts of this in Email that I sent out.

My results finally came back, and the blood test showed it was a bit abnormal but NOT in a bad way... ie, no cancer. No Myeloma.

I also had an appt at Flinders today, and we have 'abandoned' Boris, my 2kg VAC pack as he wasn't helping me. In fact one doctor who last saw my wound before the VAC was put on said aside from not looking infected the size of the wound hadn't changed at all in the 3 weeks I've had the VAC pack attached. And it isn't infected at all. Just taking it's sweet time
to heal.

Instead of Boris, I'll have regular dressing changes at least every two days (once a day if necessary) and I don't have to see anyone at Flinders for two whole weeks!

Regarding surgery, the current doctor looking after me conferred with Dr. Dean, who had been a registrar and looked after me when I had thereconstruction surgery (which also turned into a nightmare of wound infection(s)). The general consensus was that surgery for me wouldn't
be a good idea. As I'm susceptible to infection, we could end up with a much larger area... infected, which wouldn't be helpful at all. Additionally with my current health - being quite anemic and having diabetes they really feel strongly that anesthesia wouldn't be the best
for me either.

It feels funny not to be carrying Boris around with me. Tonight we came home from being out for a bit and I forgot all about the fact my purse was on my shoulder because I've been so used to dragging Boris around with me for the last 3 weeks.

So, good news all around. I've got iron tablets for the anemia and have had a couple more tests regarding that, but my GP is going away until the 30th, so we'll deal more with that when he comes back.

We went to the fireworks tonight -- the ones rescheduled from 2 weeks ago. They were great - all 5 minutes of them before they cancelled the event due to NON-EXISTING 'high winds'! The place was packed with families and kiddies in Pajamas too. I came home and looked up the weather and it said:


IDS10034
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
South Australia

Adelaide Forecast
Issued at 4:00 pm CST on Thursday 12 April 2007

Warning Summary
Nil.

Forecast for Thursday evening
A fine warm and clear evening. Light to moderate east to northeast winds. Early
evening sea breeze.


So what a crock. What there were of the fireworks were great and hopefully I'll be able to upload to youtube the bit I took with my camera. It even has the announcement that they'd been cancelled in it.

Anyway, Rod's packed it in, so I shall be following. I bought myself some marked down Easter eggs tonight and have been good so I can enjoy them. I think we'll be watching Heroes tonight.

My plans for tomorrow are to finish up some work and otherwise take it easy.

OH, what I didn't mention in my Email to people is that on Monday with the ride we took (in the car, not the bike), my side/wound started really hurting, and when the changed the dressing on Tuesday it was the most painful I'd had to date. I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn't scream. Well today was much worse - I did yelp and I actually cried. It REALLY HURT. And I apologised because I'm not a yeller or screamer, but it was very painful. And that was on pain pills too. The re-packing was OK though, as it wasn't trying to push the foam into me, and by then the 2nd Panadiene Forte I'd taken was in effect. So that's another reason I'm happy to be free of Boris. The nurse felt really bad about 'making me' cry (it wasn't her fault), and gave my back a good rub down with Alpha Keri cream. It really helped stop the itching and my back is still feeling like it's been well creamed, and it's now hours later. I might have to get some of that for myself.

Oh and for the Geeks ... my computer is now telling me it's up time is 99 Days, 9 hours. In a few days, when the new version of Ubuntu comes out, I'll be upgrading to it. My first upgrade in over a year. I'm looking forward to it. And I'll have my son to help guide me since it's the system he uses. :-) Funny, I used to help him, but now he's the one I ask silly questions of. What a nice change.

Anyway, G'night Y'all

No comments: