19 April 2007

19 April: Spilled Tea, Etc

Yesterday I showed the nurse two areas on my back that are feeling odd - one was just a bit of pressure on the side where all the healing is happening and the other is a small little nodule that hurts on my spine, right on top of where I had the arthritis flair up last year. She was quite concerned about the area where it feels like a bit of pressure and said it looked swollen to her. She rang Flinders and got me an appointment for today. She couldn't see anything special with the other little area.

So today at Flinders they couldn't really see what the RDNS nurse was on about - I think perhaps the swelling was being a bit like a car you take to the mechanics and had actually settled down before my appointment. But they gave it a full irrigation - ie poured clean saline into the wound and let it come back up on it's own. The nurse doing it said it was really weird. She'd pour it in, the water would disappear and then come back out a minute or so later. This helped get some minor/normal gunk out and I have to admit it felt like I'd had a 'shower' there on the way home. Hard to describe, but it had a clean feeling. Still hurts like heck when they do the dressing changes. The doctor could feel the little swelling on my spine but didn't know what it was but didn't think it was much to worry about. That's good.

As far as healing goes, the area looks good but the size is still the same (and it was painfully painstakingly measured today. So I'm happy it's looking good and doesn't have signs of infection. The rest will come along eventually.

I also have an odd pain on the side of my right leg (same side as the hole). It was there last week too but I figured it was just caused by a change in posture and walking and such while carrying Boris (the 2kg VAC pack) on my other shoulder. It's become more noticable this week though, so if it continues I'll have to ask my GP about it too when he returns from his holiday. He'll be back on the 30th. It's not intense or anything like that so I'm not overly worried about it, but thought I'd mention it just so I can reference it with a date if needed in the future. It feels like I bumped into something or perhaps slept on it wrong, but I'm not sleeping on that side either. Probably just a change in posture because of the hole, I reckon.

While waiting for my appointment I had a book with me to read and it's a good book. But I had to stop reading and couldn't even play solitaire on my phone because I kept having problems with double vision. Grr. Have never had a problem with double vision before so dont know what's up with that. Was OK later today, at least for playing solitaire.

I hate typing this stuff as it makes me feel like a hypocondriac, but I do need to note stuff in case I need to know when it started. And of lot stuff with me is only short lived nonsense that settles down without the need to do anything further about it.

So this afternoon, once home and getting settled in, I spilled a whole lotta tea. Here's what I wrote to the BC List as we've all been complaining about random clumsiness lately...

ARRRGG!!

I was making a pot of tea today and had just poured a cup of tea as well (half cold tea from the pot, half hot water - thank goodness. I'm pouring into the pot and have a sudden muscle spasm, reflex, whatever, and end up knocking over the full cup of tea which dropped to the floor and broke the handle. I burned my finger, got tea all over my clothes and thank goodness that cup wasn't full of just boiled water or I'd be burned in several different places.

Now, I haven't mopped in awhile - I have that hole in my side and mopping isn't something on the list of things I should do. Sigh. Well, part of the floor got mopped with paper towel as I wiped everything up, and I can't believe how dirty they came up either. On the bright side there's a few clean spots now and the cupboards and counter got a good wipe down. They really didn't need it though.

And I broke my favourite tea cup. Boohoo!

Rod kept typing away at the computer in the next room and I was really annoyed he didn't even come to have a look when I shouted out that no, I probably wasn't OK. So all while clearing up my mess I was brewing about his lack of helpfulness, or even just plain curiosity. Turns out he
didn't even hear the accident or my shout. GRUMBLE. How can I be grumpy when he didn't even hear me? Sigh. Anyway, maybe I'll get it out by just sharing with y'all.

Hugs, (Cuz I NEED one!)
Gaelyne

-----------------------------------

Later, after a few Emails from others sending love, I wrote back .....

Thanks! I am feeling much better now. Isn't it funny how sometimes the smallest things can make us fall apart when bigger things going on ( the infection and hole in my side, a cancer scare, etc etc) we seem to just weather somehow?

Today with the 'teapot episode', I was very near tears and angry way beyond the scale of the situation. Maybe I just needed a release. I later took a nap and slept very soundly without moving for a couple of hours. I feel much better for it.

------------------------------------

I find I'm still a bit unscrewed this evening, as my eyes keep leaking and I found myself really missing Mum. We used to have such nice complaint sessions together ... and I can even see/hear her doing a 'Tsk' with a nod of the head in understanding. A bit like my German friend's 'Aaachh!' but more the British version. :-)

When I copied my readings from the glucose monitor tonight, for the first time before checking things, I deleted what was on the monitor. DAMN, because what got saved to the computer doesn't make any sense, has different times from when I did my tests, and has tests missing. Like I had an 8.0 this afternoon (I tested because I was feeling funky at that time), and then it was 4.4 an hour or so later. Those readings aren't there. I tested at 7:10 this evening and it was a 4.1 as it was my before tea reading. It's not there but instead there's a 7:32 reading that's 6.2. And there's a 5am reading in there, and I don't even remember getting up last night. This makes no sense.

I really hate that Murphy's Law guy. This beyond a joke.

Anyone care to come help me get my floors vacuumed and mopped?? All the tea you can drink! LOL.

OK, I just recieved some work via Email so I better get it done while I'm thinking about it.

Am still waiting for the official Ubuntu 'Fiesty Fawn' release so I can upgrade my computer. Am really starting to look forward to that, but with Murphy hanging around, perhaps I should wait a bit.

2 comments:

Dnsage said...

Boy, you ARE Murphy.... With all the luck in the world things still could not turn out right so, best not do a "Ubuntu 'Fiesty Fawn'" UPDATE - BTW, that sounds a little weird...

You are not a hypocondriac, just a lot of stuff is happening, none of which can go un-noticed by ANYONE experiencing it - gee whiz, you do need to keep a record, because otherwise things that are important (and linking them together in time) is hard to remember... and because you have a lot to remember! So,Remember this: if you write it, it is remembered! (And you won't have to 'keep it together). And that IS too much remembering!


I worked hard at both of my jobs, and while I should head for bed, I am still revvved up from driving home. I mailed a package to Christine; she had accidently sent an order for a coffee pot that was sent here instead of where she lives in New Orleans. I opened it up, took out the packing, packed it back up with her mail, safe and sound, added some pictures from Todd's Prom and viola! she gets what she ordered and a package from Mom in one.

Zena is coming to spend the night Friday, then I am going to take her to the airport so she can go figure out what she wants to do while she sees her house in Cleveland. She is so depressed and angry about everything, maybe she will get a new focus and come back refreshed and ready to move or do something to get back on track. She is paying the full $1300 a month rental for the house in Roswell, and while she says she misses me (and wants me to move back) - I think she just doesn't want to move. And she really can't afford it.

After I take her to the airport, I am coming home to greet my new 'gardener' - he is a guy from my workplace that I think can help me out with the yard. I am looking forward to that! Because the yard looks very unkempt and I feel like I don't know anything. I don't think I have ever even started a mower, let alone mowed a yard so lessons are in order!

That's all from me, at the moment. Hang in there, little sister, I Love You!

Anonymous said...

I prescribe for you a tasty taco!

I love you Mom.
Terry