04 April 2007

4 April: Readings & Comments & Good/Bad


7.3 / 131 Random 13:31:04 Better from 9.4 - after 2 cups grn tea
3.6 / 65 Random 17:18:51 Missed lunch. Needed snack.
5.8 / 104 Pre-Tea 18:30:12 Better from low of 3.6
12.5 / 225 Post-Tea 20:48:59 Wow, & is after green tea. Hmm.
4.3 / 78 Bedtime 23:29:25 Was feeling off.
5.0 / 90 Fasting 08:43:57 Woke up after a fever.
7.3 / 132 Post-Breakfast 12:01:55 Crumpet toast & PB as usual
5.4 / 97 Pre-Lunch 13:29:39
6.9 / 124 Post-Lunch 15:16:03
9.3 / 168 Post-Tea 21:14:31 KFC. Probably too many chips or mashed
potatoes. 2x Chai Green tea
Where to begin? The day started off with work for me to do and so I stayed in my PJs and worked on the project until it was finished -- just a little update for a client.

Rod came home and his mock interview had been a success. We caught up a bit, then I went to take a shower to get ready for todays appts - one at Flinders for a dressing change and one with my GP for Mondays test results. Well that's where things started to go a bit wrong. I have a new bright red rash, this time on my front, and includes all of the area of my 'good' breast - including the scar areas where I had the reduction done. It extends down onto the middle of my stomach and is warmish to me. So figuring I'd end up staying at Flinders, I packed a bag to put in the boot (car trunk). As you can tell by this journal entry, I didn't end up staying luckily.

The wound care team were just as mystified as me about the rash. My wound is looking OK, still draining good, but no real progress in healing. They will keep Boris with me through to next Thursday when I have an appointment with the plastics team, and Marg is quite stressing to them she feels it will heal better opened. I don't want that, but I do respect her knowledge on the subject. And she's really good to me as well. The other drama there was I had to tell them that RDNS wouldn't have anyone qualified to change my VAC dressing on the holiday weekend. Marg again went to bat for me and I even heard her tell someone on the phone that 'that's all fine and dandy but my concern is for the well being of my patient.' When I left, things were still up in the air but she left me a voice mail later to let me know a compromise had been reached. I would be seen on Saturday by a nurse from Flinders Hospital at Home unit, and then my regular RDNS nurse, Michelle on Tuesday (Monday is also a public holiday here). Then my next change would be on Thursday at Flinders. Michelle, my RDNS nurse had said I might have Boris removed today but as it turns out, that's all for NEXT week, and if he's removed it will be for me to have surgery and then have him reattached with different dressings on the larger open wound.

After leaving Flinders, we did our weekly grocery shopping and then from the shopping centre I walked over to the doctors office - just across the road. I actually got there faster than what Rod driving to the parking lot exit! So the good news is that my HBA1C is a lovely fantastic 6.2! How wonderful, and better than my predictions! This was because my old monitor actually was reading too high.

But there are other things to deal with. My cholesterol didn't come down as much as I'd like and I've been given pills for that as I had two high tests so it's drugs for me.

Next there's two worrying aspects of my general blood tests. First I'm still anemic, and second there was another blood test that requires further testing which he ordered done on the blood samples they still have.

They didn't have the results of the culture taken on my wound, so I will have to ring him back after 3 tommorow for the results of both the culture and the further blood test. They did find a bug/germ in the culture which is why it's taking longer.

So I asked what they were testing for with the further blood test and geez, I wish I hadn't. It's to rule out myeloma, which is a cancer of the bone marrow. And some of it's symptoms include anemia and frequent infections because of how it affects the immune system. However, he did tell me he's had this test done on many patients over the years and only two have ever come back positive. It won't sit right with me till the results come in though.

On the rash, he is certain it's an allergic reaction. I find that hard to fanthom - I'm taking 2 Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg a day. This is a high dose of antihistamine. We'll see what pans out, but Marg from Flinders has put it in the records and the Hospital at Home team will also check on it on Saturday. And Marg said if I had any problems with it at all over the weekend to go straight to the ER at Flinders to get it taken care of. So at least it's been seen, and if it is cellulitus I know I'll get it taken care of. Being that the worst of the rash is right on the nipple (which was moved and reattached when I had the reduction, and I'm VERY HAPPY with it, I sure don't want to end up with an abscess on the front as well as on the back!

Oh, I also have a stool sample kit to check for iron there and have to return it to the office when it's relatively 'fresh'. Ewwww! Not sure what that check is for exactly, but he prescribed iron tablets that I'm not to start on until after I have the test done. Fun. Not.

So after I left there, I walked back to the shopping centre and put my prescription in and sat on the bench outside taking in some of the things discussed. Geez like I needed more to worry about!

I had Rod pick me up (mobile phones are so great for that), and we went to KFC where we both used coupons for a free piece of boneless chicken (which were very unimpressive) and 2pc Feed meal. He substituted his drink for a cheesecake, and I did the same only for a salad instead. KFC's here don't have the nice yummy buttered biscuits (scones in Australia) and just have a dinner roll instead. It's so not the same, but dipped in the gravy its not too bad. Oh well though, we have Hot Cross Buns at Easter time and we picked some up so I'm looking forward to that as a bedtime snack. :-)

So some things have been sorted out and others are looking to be sorted soon, one way or another. Hopefully all with the least scary options.

No comments: