21 June 2008

Catch Up 14 June - 20 June 2008

My son reminded me that I hadn't posted a blog entry in over a week, so I thought I'd better do a bit of a catch up.

I still felt quite unwell all last weekend (I wrote on the 13th about not feeling great) and started taking antibiotics on Sunday. I am feeling much better, but it took a few days to be able to build back up to the same activity level that I'd been at before the 'crud'. From what I can gather, I had a cold or some other virus that then turned into bronchitis.

I am still deep into learning and experimenting with what I can do with Drupal (a website content management system). I've spent a fair amount of time on learning how to code so that my glucose readings from my current website can be added into Drupal in a couple of different ways. I'm still working on it. The purpose, aside from being able to convert my personal website to Drupal, is to also learn everything I will need to know in order to do similar with other websites I work on. Exploring and learning new stuff has really been a joy at times. It's nice to give my brain a bit of a workout and to be thinking of other things besides my health, especially last weekend when the crud was in full force.

Monday I had an appt with the breast cancer clinic. My GP had referred me there a couple of weeks ago because I have some pain under my arm on the left side (the cancer was on my right), and he thought it should be checked out. I had a mammogram, and everything came out OK. I don't need to see them for another year. I don't even have to keep my appt with them in September for my 7yr check up. While being VERY pleased about this, and I saw the mammogram, it really is quite clear, I still have the pain under my arm. So I'll be going back to the GP about this sometime next week.

My new 'talking' pedometer proved to be a real problem when it just would start talking at me for every little brush of the 'talk' button. I had Rod 'mute it' for me, and well, he did such a great job, it no longer works. So with no pedometer and not feeling well at all, I didn't do much walking the beginning of the week, but by Weds or Thurs I was finally able to take a good walk and have continued since. Rod's going to have another look at the pedometer for me to see if he can fix it. If he can't, I'll order one online.

Last night (Thurs 19 June), there was a TAFE ceremony for IT students who have completed studies in various certifications. Rod received his certificate 4 in Network Security. rod-cert4 He is just finishing the advanced diploma in the same subject with only 2 more weeks to go. The ceremony for that will be in Adelaide, apparently near the end of the year. He's worked very hard for this. More pics can be seen in my Flickr photo set.

I bought a new external hard drive that arrived this week. The only thing making it 'external' was the case, power plug and USB cable. What's inside is a Sata drive, which happens to be not only what my computer can handle internally, I also had a slot and cables for it, plus it'd be faster if we put it into the computer itself. So I asked Rod to do this for me today while I was at my Breastroke meeting. I also had a bit of cable changes I wanted to make and had planned to do this on my own, but since the computer had to be pulled out in order to get the drive in, I jotted down my list of changes (mostly extension cables added for the cameras), and Rod did all the physical stuff this afternoon.

The new hard drive is 500gig (wow - biggest I've ever had), and while it's nice and works and all that I still can't quite make use of it yet as I've decided that since I plan to upgrade from Ubuntu Feisty Fawn to Hardy Heron, I may as well use the new blank drive for installing Ubuntu on as that way I'll have far less work copying stuff and being a faster drive than what I am using, that'll be great for me as well. Then I can use my current drive for storing videos, photos, music and software downloads -- without having to copy a bazillion files to another drive. The files can stay right where they are. So, installing the new operating system will be done next week. I'm looking forward to it, just to see what's new.

Tonight, since the cables have been extended, I was able to move my personal web cam back to where it was before I got my new desk a few months ago. It used to be attached to my monitor, but having the new desk meant it no longer reached my monitor. So that's back to normal, and I've also found for this particular camera double sided tape really makes all the difference in the world. I can pretty much but it anywhere and the tape does a great job of keeping it in place.

And last, ever since he was born, the background photo on my mobile phone has had a photo of my grandson. It's a great place for it because I look at my phone a lot during the day, and I find myself talking to his picture as if he's in the room with me. I really love him to bits, even though we haven't met in person. Oh, and it's winter, so hopefully soon Terry and Jennifer will send me back my lovely warm wrap that Ricky has been cuddled in, so I snuggle up in it knowing he's had it wrapped around him too.

Must end this.... am so tired tonight and geez, it's nearly 1:30am. Zzzzzzzzzz

No comments: