03 July 2008

Remember me?

Sorry I've sorta gone underground for awhile. I've been very active with working on websites and learning new stuff. It's probably the most my brain has been 'engaged' in a long long time. I just don't seem to be very good at switching tasks lately so I've been rather dogged with the stuff I've been working on.

My upgrade to Ubuntu Hardy Heron went very well. Probably the easiest full upgrade I've done yet. I stayed with KDE v3 though as from all that I've read, v4 still has quite a few kinks. Probably the hardest thing was sorting out how to print from VMWare Windows, a necessity as an order came in for a CD and the only program I have that has the labels I make for these is in Windows. Bah! Once that was sorted out (I spent all evening on it and then Rod told me an easy way and it worked first time), everything else just fell into place.

OOhh, I see my download of pics of Ricky has finished. I had to hassle Terry for these so I better go look. :-)

Gee, I want more. He is soooo cute. I will have to put a couple pics on Flickr and there's one I've picked out to put on my phone for the background as well. Shame about all the red eye pics though. I'll be having to fix those.

The Commodore website I started a zillion years ago is getting spammed - not that the public can see it, but so far in a weeks time I've receive 141 Emails to approve news stories that are nothing but junk links to crap. So, since Drupal is a perfect system for a community website, I started moving the site to Drupal and will finish with it in the next day or two. It also has some built in things to keep spam from web form abuse to a minimum which is why I've pushed to get this move finished. All seems to be going well with it and it looks quite nice.

I finished the June Monthly Scavenger Hunt on Flickr, with only a few days to spare. This month's is interesting. Anyone have a pic of a Power Ranger toy I could use??

Rod's finished this semester and is home until the next one starts in a few weeks. This is good because once he 'catches his breath', I have lots of honey-do's for him.

I'm just about recovered from having the crud a few weeks ago. My RDNS nurse seems to have it now. We both commented on the fact we've had flu shots this year too. This had to have been a strain that slipped through the cracks.

Rod fixed the new pedometer - I think I wrote in my last entry that it had been really annoyingly going off constantly talking at me. He had fixed it so she quit talking, but unbeknownst to me until that night, it turns out it also wasn't counting steps. It's taken care of now and she does speak, but only when I want her to, so that's good.

A few weeks ago I ordered a ceramic heater for the patio. It's multi directional - so half of it can point in one direction (like towards where Rod sits) and the other half can be pointed towards me. I only paid $29 for it, but have been hanging out waiting for it to arrive. Today the place I bought it from Emailed me to let me know that they found out it was a different model to what they advertised and they tried to get the right one from the manufacturer but haven't heard from them. They offered me the one that they do have (it's not a lot different but apparently the controls aren't in the same place) or a refund. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be on its way as I'll take this one. It's still multi-directional, small, same price and ceramic.

Last week was the last week the lady who normally delivers my parcels was working. She officially retired on the 1st. Shame as I really liked Kathy. And the new one, which I haven't met, didn't impress me today. We were home, the door bell isn't broken, the shutters were up, the car in the drive, but instead of delivering my box (batteries I ordered cheap), there was a card in our letterbox - they couldn't have come to the door at all. Grr. And I'd been looking forward to meeting the new delivery person too.

In case you're wondering about all my stats, well I'm still doing the glucose readings, which have been pretty good, but as far as journalling stuff goes, I have taken a rest. I'd much rather spend my energy at the moment working on creative stuff as I have no idea how long this burst of creativity will last and I just feel like I should give it everything I have as it's been so long since I've felt creative. I haven't been walking as much, but I also have to work with the weather, and when it's super cold and rainy I've been more inclined to stay home rather than risk having the 'crud' return.

My back/side is doing very very well. The last 3 dressing changes have been excellent with dry bandaging. The size of the hole hasn't changed, but the fact it's no longer draining is a very good sign that it shouldn't be long now.

OH - last week we had a near disaster. I had an appointment we were getting ready to leave to attend when there was a huge hissing sound from the loo. Turns out a pipe in the wall had corroded and water was spewing everywhere. It only took a couple minutes for Rod to run out and turn the water off, but in that time there was at least 2 inches on the floor. Thank god it travelled into the bathroom and didn't touch the carpet for the back bedroom. We had to have a plumber come in to fix it. The pipe that corroded was a galvanised pipe, which is odd because the rest of the piping was all copper. The plumber wasn't as dear as I anticipated ... phew. We had lots of realisations though. Rod just happened to be home that day, and if he hadn't I'd probably sill be running in circles trying to figure out how to turn the water off. We were also running a bit late -- to our advantage -- if we had left earlier, we would have come home to a completely flooded house. So, disaster averted. PHEW!

I think that's about it as far as catching up goes. I'll be looking into DA to see what's new there tomorrow.

Cheers!

No comments: