20 February 2008

Wed 20 Feb Diary Entry

Scratchy: nada. 6318 steps

Learners Permit Theory Test Practice Scores:

Give Way Test: 8 of 8 correct (8 required)
Multiple Choice: 41 out of 42 correct (32 required)

Breakfast: leftover pizza slice
Lunch: cottage cheese and chicken curry noodles
Tea: schnitzel and chips.

I had Rod take some photos of my back mainly for comparison purposes. If you're a member of Flickr and have me in your contact list as a friend or family you can view the pics as they're set as private and available to friends and family only. The links are:

20 Feb dressing with red scar line and 20 Feb red scar line.

Today I was able to rearrange when the nurse came so I could still take the class studying for my Learners permit. The class was great. Kirstie and I nearly didn't get in as she was mis-informed on the phone and we were supposed to book in beforehand, but luckily the teacher accepted both of us and so we're in. Phew.

Jayne (my nurse) rang my doctors office to get the swab results but the lab is doing a test for staph and it wasn't done yet. The results will be in tomorrow morning. She was shocked at the amount of exudate - my dressing was totally saturated and it was only the fact I had a patchwork of opsite (a type of tape) that kept it from leaking out. Actually it was dribbling a bit but we couldn't find the source so I ended up going to the class this morning wearing a shirt I wasn't particularly fussed about getting wet in back if it leaked much. It got wet, but not too bad.

So the first thing the nurse did was change me from 3x a week to daily, including weekends so the exudate, which is burning my skin, won't sit on my skin too long. So I've gone from visits twice a week to 3x a week and now daily. She noted the red scar line, and how my back has had even more fluid filling it since Monday.

Today it's affected my breathing. I know I have bronchitis and so breathing deep isn't easy, but that's clearing up somewhat. However, I can't take a deep breath because the extra fluid build up is doing a real 'boa constrictor' thing on me. The tightness and reduced ability to move normally has affected my breathing, my shoulder and shoulder blade, my side, my back (mostly), my right hip and buttocks. And tonight I swear the top of my thigh is also starting to build up fluid. The other really annoying thing is that my stomach seems to be sticking out as far as when I was pregnant for Christopher, and it's rock hard. It's mostly the right side, but with my stomach, the left side just follows along with what the right is doing as if it didn't have a choice. Ever see the blue Meanies from the movie 'Yellow Submarine'? That's how I feel like I look.

I did go on my walk today. It wasn't a quick walk, but I got there and back ok. My back and hip aches no matter whether I'm walking, sitting or lying down. It's frustrating. I had nearly weaned myself off the pain medication too. Needless to say, I take them when I need them.

I'll know more tomorrow about the results of the swab and more than likely the antibiotics I'm on will be changed.

It's 9:47pm, but it feels like 2am to me. I don't think I'll be 'up' much longer tonight.

Steps: 8142

No comments: