20 March 2007

Grumpy

I woke up a bit foggy this morning at 8:30am, to a rather bleak and blah looking day, and my mood just hasn't improved all day. It's 3:15pm and I'm still waiting for the RDNS nurse to get around to change my dressing. We need some veggies for a roast we're having and I'd like to go with Rod to the grocery store, but it's looking a bit like I'll be sending him out and staying home to wait. I just rang them, and they won't be on after 4:30, which is the time I suggested they come, and was told the nurse would ring me in five minutes. Well it's been more like 10 now, and the phone hasn't rung yet.

But I wasn't grumpy about the nurse/dressing situation to start with today. It's more a case of it just getting to me rather than my usual cheerful attitude. For the first couple of weeks as I became more and more ill, I wasn't well enough to have much of an attitude one way or the other. Once it was diagnosed and I had surgery, I've taken things pretty much in my stride. Today though it hurts a bit more, probably because I did 'too much' yesterday, and I'm just bloody sick of it all. I mean, who needs an infection and abscess in an area that had surgery two YEARS ago? What the hell happened in that surgery 2 years ago? Did they leave a sponge in or something? Did the nasty fall I had last May when I landed on my back cause this? Or is it just a random mystery never to be resolved? I didn't ask for this. I didn't need to loose so many weeks out of my life to waiting around to have the hole in my side dressed daily. I normally don't whine or complain, but this really has gotten to me. Looking at the bright side, at least it's not cancer or any other kind of weird illness.

Harrumph, instead of calling, the nurse has just drove in. Will grump some more later just to get it out of my system.

...

Well that was nice. The nurse that came wasn't my regular nurse, but she was in the office at Lonsdale which is just up the road less than 2 minutes away and so she volunteered to come take care of me. And once she came, Rod and I went off to get our veggies for the roast. Some veggies. The total came to $76! We pretty much did our grocery shopping for the week though.

And when we got home, there was an Email from a neighbour down the road - a friend of Mum's - who had noticed the RDNS cars at our house the last few days and Emailed to ask if we were OK and if there was anything they could do to help.

Gee it's hard to be grouchy when there's nice people around offering help and support!

So I guess I'm a bit less moody now. Still tired and sore, but I guess that's to be expected.
Anyway, it might be time to take the roast out, so I better go see if I can help Rod with it.

No comments: