06 March 2008

A Million Things to do

I have all these things I want to do, and things I have to do, and other things I need to do. Sometimes it's really frustrating. Tonight for instance, I wanted to upload some pics Drez sent me of the baby to Flickr, and a few other pics as well, but it didn't happen and now it's too late to start anything new.

So many things I've wanted to write about, too. They all get written in my head and then lost in the clutter of my mind.

One of the things I wanted to write about though doesn't involve pics at all so I'll tell you about that, and as it's an experiment of sorts, it fits with the blog as well.

Over on DeviantArt, I was reading a journal entry by Sae, and she mentioned she was trying something new with her hair and gave a link. I read the article and had to try it for myself. The link is: Info: Shampoo Free

Wow, I wish I'd tried this years ago. Basically, you use a 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda to 1 Cup water to wash your hair, rinse well, then use 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar to 1 Cup water to rinse your hair and then rinse that out. My hair has always been pretty lifeless and gets dirty looking within 26 hours. It bites. Well not anymore. One of the advantages of not using shampoo is that your hair doesn't get dirty as quickly. And she suggests using a sprinkle of corn starch and then combing it out if your hair gets a bit greasy looking. That works really well too. I would suggest 2 things though:

  1. Put the corn starch in a shaker container, like a recycled herb/spice bottle,
  2. Remove your shirt before sprinkling. Otherwise you'll get the corn starch on your clothes and that's annoying.
My hair feels softer and nicer than it ever has, is staying cleaner longer, and I don't even need to use hair products to make it go where I want it to go. The other great thing is that this saves water. Most of my shower time has always been the 'lather, rinse, repeat' procedure and it's great to have a shower or two between hair washings where I can just rinse my hair, and not have to deal with washing it. Plus, as I make the baking soda mixture into a bit of a paste, I've found that I can use it to wash my face too, and so far during the current heatwave, I haven't had any problems with breaking out with eczema on my face and scalp. And if this stops that problem too, well, I'm a very happy camper!

It makes sense in a way - not having eczema problems - I was just telling a friend of mine how I have allergies to just about every product on the market that has a fragrance in it, especially if it's a facial product. Well shampoo generally has a fragrance and the areas that break out first and take the longest to go away is my hairline and forehead. So using something that's only a single ingredient without a fragrance will probably be a big help. Wish I'd thought of that a lot sooner!

We are in the middle of a nasty heatwave. It's been a relatively cool summer, and funnily enough (NOT) the heat wave began on the first day of Autumn. We're expecting to have high temps all weekend and through out the next week. Ugh!

But at least I'm having good hair days and not bad. :-)

No comments: