07 March 2008

This could be good for me...

One of the problems that doesn't really help much with my back/side healing is that I have lymphedema (in Oz it's spelled lymphoedema), which is from having some of my lymph nodes removed from my underarm when I had treatment for breast cancer. Lymph nodes are like the 'clean up crew' of the body. They remove all matter of bacteria and junk from our bodies by way of a complex lymph system that's just below the skin. I am fortunate in that my right arm isn't substantially larger than my left, but when it's hot (we're in a heat wave right now), I have problems with pain and swelling in the arm. The major place where I have lymphedema though is in my trunk. Basically the whole right side of my back, around under my arms and a bit in the chest and my tummy isn't all tummy. Some it is swollen from lymphedema. This swelling happens when the system gets overwhelmed and just can't keep up with it's cleaning job and so more lymph fluid is sent to the trouble areas, but that fluid gets trapped and isn't able to drain properly as it does in normal people.

I am on the waiting list for my current lymphedema problems to be assessed, and have been since either October or November. I have an appointment scheduled tenatively for 16 May but if there are any cancellations, I might get in sooner. Once I've been assessed, I'll likely need to have massage therapy and/or laser treatments. Neither one of these are 'covered' and have to be paid for out of pocket.

That was the state of the situation this afternoon, but there may be something better - and sooner. A friend from the Breastroke group sent me a flyer via email about a new clinical trial at the Lympedema Clinic where it's a crossover trial. For one week they will do one type of massage 4 days a week, the next week no massage is done, and the following week is another 4 days of a different type of massage. As well it includes measurements throughout the trial and after the trial some lymphedema education. This treatment is absolutely free and is to assess if there's any difference in fluid reduction between the two different massage methods.

When I rang to ask about the trial, I told them about my history with the hole in my side and they didn't feel that this would exclude me, nor would the fact I have more fluid build up in my back/trunk than in my arm. So cool. Getting the lymph fluid to drain from my back would go a long way towards helping the side finally heal, so this could be just the ticket for me.

I have an appt next Tuesday morning to be checked over and see if I'm eligible for the study. It sucks I have to deal with this stuff, but how lucky am I to live in an area where there are clinical studies being done on a regular basis. The last one I was in was to see if Tai Chi helps improve lymph fluid movement and I learned Tai Chi... for free.

By the way this heatwave we're having has no end in sight - it's here for at least the next 7 days. Ugh!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to learn Tai Chi!!!