03 April 2008

Wed 2 April Update

Scratchy: no walk. Wet, rainy, cold & I wasn't up to it

Breakfast: crumpet toast with PB and drop honey
Lunch: 1 big bowl of self pity (aka chicken curry noodles), cottage cheese & chocolate
Tea: yiros meat pack and a few chips

Notes: BANG! Something crashing outside woke me up this morning. As I sat up, every joint in my body creaked and moaned, telling me that winter has arrived. I put on slippers winching as the little joints in my toes complained at me. I put my robe on and stepped out on the porch to see what had woke me up. The first thing of note was that the bins we'd put out the night before (it's trash day today) were on their sides. The recycle bin had all our last 2wks worth of plastic, paper, etc threatening to become airborne missles. I looked over at the two metal doors for our covered 'half garage space' (well it's not a car port nor is it a garage, I have no idea what to call it) and one of the doors was violently opening crashing against the other door. It does that when it's extremely windy but today it looked like it might just get sheared off if it didn't get dealt with. And being only in my robe in a gale force wind and only partially awake, I decided I'd better get a coffee, get dressed and be a bit more awake before I went out to do clean up. I went to go back inside and in a flash of a moment, the screen door ripped from my hand and then came back as quickly as it'd opened... smashing right into the first joint on my right index finger, which was already being somewhat sore and stiff with arthritis. Oh, I think I said a few four letter words several times over... Nice start to the day. Sigh. So I got my coffee, took my drugs, sat and woke up a bit and then went out front to deal with the carnage.

To my surprise, the two bins were upright and hardly any recycle stuff (of our own) was visible. But, the large recycle bin was upright and instead of being next to the road, where I last saw it lying on its side, was in the middle of the yard. It was also empty, which was confusing. I thought everything had just blown away. As it turns out, our wonderful neighbours saw the bins and put them upright, and let me know that the recycle truck had just been by a few minutes before. Phew. I ended up taking that bin around the yard and picking up other peoples recycle items that had escaped their bins. I wonder if half of ours is down the road? I really think the council should let us put this stuff in bags because every fortnight when its recyc week, I see stuff that had to either come from our recyc or someone elses, always a bit further up the street from our house. It's very silly having recycling if it's going to be loose in the bin and escaping to become neighbourhood litter.
Anyway, I spoke to the neighbours on both sides, meeting the ones on our right for the first time as they moved in there a few months ago. Good thing I put my dentures in before I ventured outside!! (LOL)

So now it's hours later and actually colder outside than what it was at 7am. And my fingers are being very grumpy. I used Voltaren on them and am giving them a bit of exercise while I write this. That way they can't complain about not being allowed to move about and get lubricated. And now I feel like I need a nap. Sigh. I am actually quite frustrated at the moment. I can't seem to conventrate and I have so much stuff on my to do list. ARG!!

Added later: Well I had some lunch and took it easy and still hurt so finally took a Panadiene Forte with codiene around 4:30 and then slept from about 5 to 6:30. I've felt like a zombie all night. I did some work on some graphics this evening but on a better day I'm sure I'd be finished with it. Tomorrow I have a fasting blood test so I can't have anything but water from now until then.

Honestly I think today wouldn't have been so bad but normally winter arthritis just creeps in slowly as the days slowly get shorter and colder and the weather gets rainy. Today was like being plunged suddenly into mid-winter as far as the arthritis goes. No easing into it slowly. I can't believe this is the same body that walked 12,000 steps the other day or has accomplished as much as I have lately. It's a reminder that I'm on disability for a reason. Anyway, that was my day.

Steps: 4810 so far

No comments: